Saturday, January 12, 2013
Arrival
I arrived safely into Peru late Monday night, early Tuesday morning. I have been staying in the guest house the last week and will probably be here for another two weeks until I move into my apartment. It’s a really nice place and has all the modern conveniences of America such as a washer/dryer, warm showers, nice bed and best of all Wi-fi! Being in Lima over the last week has been a really great experience. I live in the Miraflores district which is a really clean and safe part of the city. It’s also right by the ocean so the climate is very mild. It rarely gets above 80 degrees or below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. My supervisor has been showing me around the city the last few days so I have been becoming quite acquainted with the area. Fortunately, my Spanish is well beyond a beginner’s level due to the fact that my mom and Grandma speak Spanish and I took several years of it in high school and college. This next week I will be helping out with a baseball clinic that we will be hosting for kids and youth ages 10-18. The clinic will be taught by nine men from Florida who are all former baseball players and coaches in the minor leagues. All the coaches are Christians and will be presenting the gospel message to the kids at the end of the week. Pray that God will open up the hearts of the kids and that many will accept Christ into their lives. Many of the people involved with the baseball clinic are going to be Nikkei, which is the people group I came down here to work with. This is going to be the first time I have interaction with any of them so pray that I will be able to make many contacts and start building relationships with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So glad to hear that you are getting settled into Lima :)
We will be praying for the Baseball Clinic...that God would open the hearts of the people to the Gospel! Keep up with the blog posts---love to read about your experiences!
Love,
Mom
Great to know that you are in Lima! We have stayed in that guest house so we know right where you are. Praying for you as you adjust and learn your way around. Drink some chicha morada for us! Cindy
Post a Comment